Hey folks, how’s it going?
So…a little background on what’s been going on with GameModing.com. Wednesday 8th November 2017 was a pretty big day for us here at GloboTek and subsequently, GameModing.com. Having previously missed out on purchasing GameModing.com as a complete & working site at an auction in September 2015, we jumped at the opportunity to purchase the domain when it appeared in an expired domains auction this August. At that time, the site had been down for several weeks and due to people being away on holiday, we also missed winning the auction. But….through a domain buying service, after 3 months of a hateful affiliate links page replacing GameModing.com, the domain was purchased and transferred to our GloboTek domain account. Fantastic – we can get to work!!!
Since last Wednesday, we’ve been flat out taking our first steps towards getting GameModing.com back online, as close to its former glory as possible. Bear in mind, GameModing.com was one of the most popular mod hosting sites in the world just a few years ago. However, the task isn’t going to be any easy one. With the previous owner of the site letting things expire and the domain going into auction, we haven’t got any of the original tens of thousands of mods the site hosted. Problem, right? Not strictly. GloboTek is a web development firm, we build websites for people and create some pretty complicated mechanisms to automate our clients’ sites. As such, GloboTek’s pretty good at building tools to automate pretty much anything – how about something to download all our old content and upload it to the new site?
That’s exactly what we’ve been doing. Over the weekend, a scraper was built and two sites that have all, if not most, of our original content as well as what we’re missing from the years the site wasn’t cared for. GameModing.com seems to have gone silent around June 2016 – Facebook goes dead and the last file uploaded was the same time. We’ve already got about 15,000 posts for Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Farming Simulator 2013 ready to import. We’ve started with these two titles as FS2013 and ETS2 really were the backbone of the site up until 2015 when FS2015 was released. Next steps after getting these 15,000 posts created for you will be tackling the other titles in the series so that’s Farming Simulator 2015 & 2017, Euro Truck Simulator for posterity and American Truck Simulator as that’s also very popular.
But less of how we’ve come to own GameModing.com and on to what we’ve been up to this last week.
- As I mentioned, we’ve got over 15,000 posts for FS2013 & ETS2 ready to import. We’re just waiting on the files to download and then we can start the lengthy process of uploading everything.
- The design team is hard at work formulating a styleguide and some initial artwork for the site.
- Work has begun on the awesome new community & profile features that we’ll be launching in the next week or so.
- A full review of the data map (technical term for what goes where) has taken place to establish what categories we need. This is all in an effort to make navigating the site as easy and quick as possible.
- Initial feature list drawn up – more on that later!
- Development of the two templates for listing lots of mod posts at once and then the single mod post that’s linked to.
- Setup the blog!!!
Not strictly development related but worth a mention. We’re hoping we can assume the different social media account dotted around the internet, starting with Facebook, so you guys don’t have to start liking and following other pages. We’ll let you know when that happens…Facebook are a little tricky to deal with.
For now though, that’s all. I’ll be back in touch soon with more news and updates on how the site build and restoration is going.
See you later!